I really wished I'd had the money to buy and transport, and a place to install
and use this 8,000 pound iron surface plate that Gorton made and used in their
factory.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-and-history/mother-all-gorton-surface-plates-282691/
Unfortunately the guy who bought it suffered a heart attack and a shop fire not
long after. Whereabouts of the plate still unknown.

    On Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 10:20:16 PM MST, Gene Heskett
<ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

 On Wednesday 06 January 2021 23:46:36 TJoseph Powderly wrote:

> Hi Gene
> you can buy Prussian Blue oil paint tube from an art store or internet
> you can get a pretty good surface plate from a cutout of a kitchen
> sink granite top

I have a surface plate but its triple the weight of this mill. 4" thick,
12" x 18" Feels like around 80 lbs to me, but I could just be getting
old. :(

> you can measure the flatness with this old trick
> takes 2 123 blocks a mag indicator stand and an indicator
> mount indicator to stand and clamp stand onto large surface of 123
> place both 123's on surface to check. You can 0 indicator onto the
> plain 123. as you move the pair over the surface you are measuring the
> avg 123 area height to the other 123 area height. You make a map of
> the results on paper.

I'll have to locate a granite peddler for the light weight version, and
get the 123 blocks.  Good idea though.  Thanks TomP.

> This will show you how flat the surface is.
> this is an independent measure ( the surface may not be parallel to
> the x or y rails
> but it is important to be able to what element is contributing what
> part of error to the wkpc.
>
> stay safe, god bless america

After today, I'm not so sure he is blessing us. We'll see that happens in
the next 14 days.