On Thursday 28 January 2021 12:09:00 John Dammeyer wrote:

> Just be careful and ask the supplier what type of encoder is mounted
> on the servo.  There are encoders and there are encoders. My
> http://en.bergerda.com/ servos use a Japanese brand which they claim
> are better than some of the Chinese ones out there but are also
> considerably more expensive.   Differential output from the encoder is
> a must have to reduce the effects of electrical noise.
>
> John

True, but Omron makes differential encoders with up to 1024 ppr, for a
$21 price on ebay.

I have one with 1000 ppr on the rear of my GO704's spindle motor, turning
faster by 3 or 4x than its rated for, currently driven by a piece of
heat shrink tubing as the elastomer coupling has gone away two years
ago.

The diff signals are made single ended to drive a 5i25's inputs by a pair
of rs-485 to ttl boards at nominally $2 each on ebay. I had to program
them for 1 way traffic though. So my spindle scale is a bit over 7,000
in high gear, and a bit over 14,000 in low, and I can use PID_S.Pgains
of 20 or more.

To say my speed control is stiff is the understatement of the month, I
only know the spindle load is high by the chirping iron in the motor at
around 1.8x its nameplate 9.7 amps courtesy one of Jon's pwm-servo's set
for around 17 amps. Up to that point, no change in the machines noise as
a tap digs in.

I get my spindles index from a screw silly glued to the side of the
drawbar retaining cap by way of an ATS-667 watching it go by.

 - Louis D. Brandeis