I have started to play around with EDM. The intention is to make an
EDM "grinder" to profile tool steel and possibly carbide cutting tools
using CNC-turned profiles.

At the moment I am using a cobbled-together XY table with a couple of
STMBL drives.
One of the STMBL analogue inputs is used to measure the current
through the gap. (ie using the voltage across the resistor that a
capacitor is charged through).
Then a PID controller tries to achieve a target current by adjusting
the adaptive feed pin.

I think that it shows promise, but only partly works.

I am using a 50R resistor and a 1000uF capacitor. I suspect that this
is too high on both counts.
I am working at 40V and it seems that the tool welds to the work too readily.

I suspect that I would get different results if I controlled to the
gap voltage, rather than charging resistor voltage. And probably
better still with some sort of signal processing on that voltage.

What combination of R, C and V would be typical for a servo-controlled
eroder? I imagine it might be different to a "doorbell" style one.

Current set up: https://youtu.be/nxpmEFnmK-A

--
atp
lunatics."