From: Bruce Layne <linux...@thinkingdevices.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2021 11:46 AM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC) <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] lathe paths with linux cnc and CAD software

[EXTERNAL EMAIL] Be sure links are safe.

This is my annual warning that AutoDesk isn't The Benevolent Software Company,
and they aren't in business to give you free stuff because you're so awesome.
AutoDesk has a history of offering free or low cost software to entice users
into investing their time to learn the software (this may be the highest cost
of ownership), and once you have tens or hundreds of designs in their
proprietary CAD format, they decide to unilaterally change the deal and you're
trapped.  They did this to me with AutoSketch, a couple of decades ago.  I had
hundreds of hours wasted and many designs were abandoned because I couldn't
export them.
AutoSketch was never a serious product.  It was used to migrate users to
AutoCAD LT, and then to AutoCAD.

FreeCAD doesn't do everything you might want, but I've been very happy with it
and I'm grateful to the open source programmers who make it possible.  If all
you want is 2D or 2.5D CAM for LinuxCNC, it may be all you need in its current
state.  FreeCAD is still under development, so it may have the features you
need by the time you need them, but that's a risky proposition with free open
source software.