On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 8:48 AM Bruce Layne <linux...@thinkingdevices.com>
wrote:

>  and once you have tens or
> hundreds of designs in their proprietary CAD format, they decide to
> unilaterally change the deal and you're trapped.

Moving away from Fusion360 is easy.   Fusion allows you to save in ".STEP"
format.  I suggest you try moving a simple test project from Fusion360 to
(say) OnShape just to prove you cannot be "trapped".  (I've done this
test.  It's easy.  Some of my Fusion files are now in OnShape.)   I would
not use a CAD system that did not allow saving work in a "universal" file
format.  But then it is hard to find such a CAD system.

My "pass/fail" test for any CAD/CAM system is to make a battery powered
hand drill or a "Saws All" type tool.  A simpler test might be a computer
mouse that has a kind of free-form shape.

Another important test is the availability of high-quality training
material.   The big ones (Solid Works, OnShape Fusion360) all have this and
even have the option of paid classes where you get a live instructor.
Although most of us will use the free video classes.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California