On Thursday 18 March 2021 18:29:50 andy pugh wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 at 20:52, Frank Tkalcevic
>
> <fr...@franksworkshop.com.au> wrote:
> > Is there anything special about driving these motors?
>
> I guess that as they are 20-step motors it is a long way between the
> poles, and microstepping relies on finding an elastic equilibrium
> between poles.

A lot of that can be blamed on the poor co-operation between the motor
makers and the driver makers resulting in very poor mapping of the
currents delivered, to the magnetic characteristics of the motor, and I
have noted that the fine microstepping performance can and usually is,
related to the ideal current ratios for the individual motor, due to the
non-linear magnetic performance of the iron with improved performance in
terms of degrees/step often obtained at less than full motor currants.
But for a 20 step motor, if I needed fine results I'd gear it down to
get the accuracy needed and drive the motor at no more than half step.

What I have observed is that you can get decent results from a 2M542
driver at a little over half the max current, at a /8 or even /16. Swap
that driver for a DM860 and its so much poorer, that there is no optimum
current, even at a /32, its essentially a half step motor in terms of
how far it moves for one step. And it hammers a nema34 something awful
even running at a /16.

I know little about the A-4988, but its predecessor, A3977 used on the 3
& 4 axis boards from another board maker isn't that good either.

YMMV of coarse, a lot at times.

> I think that it is often like you describe, just rather less obvious
> on a 200-step motor.

 - Louis D. Brandeis