I once built a few tiny 3D printers out of old CD ROM drives with my students.
The motors are no larger than 15mm. I was able to use the finest micro-stepping
that those drivers are capable of. We did nothing out of the ordinary to hook
them up; the motor plugged directly in to the RAMPS board. I can’t recall what
the step resolution was

How are you setting the current? I adjusted these by incrementally increasing
the current while monitoring the motor temperature.