From: Stuart Stevenson <stus...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2021 11:12 PM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC) <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Worn Ball Screw?

[EXTERNAL EMAIL] Be sure links are safe.

Plus or minus .010 is an amazing amount. Also, you mentioned another area on
the screw you saw .001 lost motion. This leads to a screw problem.
I would do what Jon Elson says as this sounds strange but I would expect to
find screw wear. If it was nut wear the backlash in all areas of the screw
would be close to equal. Not knowing the drive train maybe there is a gear
train and one area of the gear train has worn teeth and where you found almost
no lost motion is where the gear train is the best.
Expect screw wear but hope for a gear train problem.
HTH
Stuart

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 5:15 PM Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:

> On 04/12/2021 09:48 AM, Todd Zuercher wrote:
> > Those here who have had to deal with a worn out ball screw.
> I'd dig into the works and examine everything.  It does NOT sound like
> simple wear.
> The rotating nut likely runs in a pair of either angular-contact
> bearings or tapered roller bearings.  There will be a preloading
> arrangement to constrain the nut.  Also, the screw is usually fixed at
> both ends.  If the clamp has gotten loose at one or both ends, it
> could allow some flex of the mount under load.  Attach a dial test
> indicator to the slide and read against the end of the screw, and
> watch for movement when you apply load.
>
> Some old ballnuts were actually TWO completely separate nuts that were
> preloaded against each other with Belleville washers.  It is possible
> some of the Bellevilles have cracked.
> Also, they often used dowel pins to align the two nuts rotationally.
> If one of the dowels has cracked, that could cause this kind of issue.
>
> Jon

Addressee is the intended audience.
If you are not the addressee then my consent is not given for you to read this
email furthermore it is my wish you would close this without saving or reading,
and cease and desist from saving or opening my private correspondence.
Thank you for honoring my wish.