grbl is best compared to the "Marlin" software that drives most 3D
printers. Both are very different from LCNC.   Marlin and grbl are really
similar in many ways.
1) Marlin and grbl both run on Arduino, even the low-end "Uno".
2) They are VERY efficient because the configuration is done in the dot.h
file and then the system is recompiled.
3) grbl only drives 3-axis machines that use stepper motors
4) like Marlin, but unlike LCNC, software stepping is very accurate and
fast.  Because both grbl and Marlin run on bare metal with no OS.
5) grbl has only the most primitive user interface -- code letters you type
into a serial terminal, no screen of any kind.  However this s a feature,
any GUI would have to be done on a PC in a completely separate program.

The main limitation is (1) stepper motors only and (2) three-axis only.
 One huge advantage over LCNC is there is zero learning curve and nothing
to configure because there are no config files.

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 9:48 AM Gerrit Visser <gerr...@psgv.ca> wrote:

> Hi Gene
> From discussions with users of my now-archived Gui, they were using it for
> anything from laser 'etching' wood with a lot of tiny moves to a Bridgeport
> and 2" facemills.
> Grbl is quite capable, people get hung up on the lack of some G codes and
> tool changes but for the most part in small shops and hobbyists it makes
> little difference. Even for thread milling and drilling there are other
> options to generate gcode. Fusion360 has a post for Grbl so it is possible
> to stay within its limits.
>
> Grbl is certainly much easier to install than IinuxCNC so if it does enough
> then that is a plus in my opinion. Grbl gets few updates because in the
> main
> it is supported by 1 person who is busy with life.
>
> Gerrit

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California