Hi Rob,
I've used my ELS for all sorts of non-ELS projects.  Especially since the
original had a 3A 55V micro stepping driver on board.  Or it could drive
external motors.  For the longest time it was the power feed for the knee on
the mill driving a Gecko and a 1000 oz-in motor with 3:1 reduction.

I've also used it as a rotary table controller.  Once you set up the distance
per single step jog it's easy to mount something in the table and each jog
moves to the next drill position.  Beats the arms and pin of a standard rotary
indexer.

Oh and then a coil winder.  Tell it to cut a thread  a certain length and the
stepper motor turns a repeatable number of turns.  Bingo.  N windings on the
coil form.

And of course as the Z axis controller on my South Bend for threading and
boring to a repeatable stop.

I've done a few things to 'enhance' my ELS.  First I ported the code which was
incredibly easy to a PIC32 from the PIC18.   The time spent inside the
interrupt routine which includes the micro-stepping control went from just over
35uS to about 3uS.    I wasn't able to plug in the PIC32 that I wanted into the
Automotive Networking Board I used for development but a full quadrature
encoder will now be possible instead of a single pulse per rev.  I can send you
some pictures off list if you want.  The plan was to make a small piggy back
board that plugged into the 40 pin DIP socket of the PIC18F.  But with the
power of the PIC32 and a second DB-25.

But I also got side tracked from that with a TI dual processor and floating
point math units; the F2837xD.
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tms320f28378d.pdf

I was just at the point where I was looking at wiring it up as a replacement
for the ELS when work-work got in the way.  Since then it's sitting at the back
of the bench and other projects involving the Beagle surfaced again.   I almost
have a CANopen stack written for it too.  One could spend years just playing
with it.  Now I've forgot most of what I was doing with it.

The pocket beagle also looks interesting.

Too many projects.  Not enough time.

John