On Saturday 19 June 2021 02:08:02 John Dammeyer wrote:

> So I settled for a 3D printed coupler.  All mounted it definitely
> vibrates less.  Enough so I can get back to the Pi4 LinuxCNC and
> spindle information.  I'm finding the AXIS Spindle speed oscillates
> about +/- 5 RPM.   I thought that I was filtering it.  The ramp
> feature works so the motor speeds up slowly as desired.

Why should it? Because I can do rigid tapping, the only reason to slow a
motors response to a speed/direction change is to profile itsa change
rates so Z can keep up. No other slowdowns allowed. My PMDC spindle on
my G0704 can do a full reverse at 3000 rpms in about 400 milliseconds.
So can TLM. The 1hp on my sheldon lathe is rigged for rigid tapping and
can reverse a 35 lb 4 jaw chuck controlled by a clone vfd, with .25
turns of overshoot at the turnaround point. The belts might yelp, but it
gets it done.

> Before I start posting HAL and INI fragments can I get some feedback
> on others who report the encoder RPM on the display.  Does it jitter
> or is it rock solid?

I display rpms from the encoder if there is one, and only the tach on the
sheldon has any wibbles, but they are created in the encoder due to
uneven tooth wear on the bull gear, created by 50 some years of backgear
way the hell and gone over engaged, causeing wear on the tooth profiles
from banging the edges of the teeth against the bottoms of the backgear.
This is the major cause of broken teeth on these gears in Sheldon lathes
as the smaller tooth count is flexed by several ton of over engagement,
breaking the tooth off from the flexing of the tooth at the base of the
tooth. Because of this uneven wear on the gear profile being detected by
the ats-667's I made the encoder from, the tach display has about a 5%
jiggle.

And I went public with that on the Sheldon list as it appears this was
the normal setting at Sheldon by someone in final assembly who was never
schooled in the finer points of proper gear engagements.  If, with the
backgear engaged, it rumbles, loosen the engagement by a couple thou. I
don't use it that much with a vfd. Don't need it with the vfd.

> Maybe what I'm seeing is normal.  I'm used to seeing target RPM which
> of course doesn't change. Thanks
> John

As has been reported here, I put a 1000 line encoder on the g0704's
motor, but the index still comes from the spindle. The original install
had an elastomer coupling that eventually broke due to a slight
miss-alignment, so its now driven for the last 2 years by a piece of
heat shrink.  Works fine. And I run a Pgain in that PID well above 1000
now.

<jo...@autoartisans.com> wrote:

> > only
> >
> > > use the boring tool to bring the back half up to 3/8" and the
> > > front up to 14mm.
> > >
> > > I would drill 8.5mm then bore all the way through to 3/8 for the
> > > fit I wanted on the encoder shaft.
> > > Then bore half way through to the 14mm testing the motor fit.
> > > The point is that you can machine the 3/8 first on the accessible
> > > side of the work, then machine half of it away.
> > >
> > > --
> > > atp
> > > "A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is
> > > designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils
> > > and lunatics."
> > > ? George Fitch, Atlanta Constitution Newspaper, 1912

 - Louis D. Brandeis