On Friday 02 July 2021 01:42:25 John Dammeyer wrote:

> Progress.  This will ultimately be metal since I don't trust the
> plastic to be stable and the encoder disk is perhaps a tad thick for
> the slotted sensors.  What you see underneath the yellow plate are
> stiffeners.  Likely a 6mm thick steel plate wouldn't need this. John

Looks real good John. I'd think 1/8" alu panel stock would be plenty
stiff enough for that. 1/4"|6mm steel seems like serious overkill.

With regard to the comment about disk thickness, its a small effect, but
the thicker disk has more effect of the edge diffraction, so you would
get sharper rise and fall times from a thinner disk. One way to reduce
the rise & fall time if it is a problem would be to cut the disk with an
engraving tool, because the 60 degree v would leave a single sharp edge
but that would also tend to give small errors if your z depth is shakey
or the disk isn't optically flat. If using the engraving tool, turn the
disk over to put the sharp edge, narrower opening towad the led in the
interruptor, less chance of an errant reflection from the angled face
that way.

 - Louis D. Brandeis