If I could figure out how to install my surpluse $800 encoder I would but the
way the machine is designed it's not easy.

Faving done quadrature encoder work back in the late 80's with a Z80 processor
and then later on with separate chips that are quadrature detectors the reality
is the edge is the only important part and the two phases are only important
for direction detection.  As far as speed goes only one edge is needed.  In
fact because of the non-symmetrical wave form trying to determine speed between
both rising and falling A and B edges is an exercise in futility.

Now positioning is something else of course.  If the distance from edge to edge
is critical then non-symmetry is not a good idea.

One alternative for mounting in my mill is to shift the custom dual pulley
downwards so there is room at the top for a toothed belt to an encoder.  But
why even bother?  If I put toothed pulley in place of the V belt then I can use
the AC Servo encoder with the appropriate ratio to determine spindle RPM.

For now, I'm working on bringing these pulses into LCNC so I can close the loop
since although the AC servo will use step/dir the V belt pulleys are not
exactly the same size.   The 1055Hz did not match what the Bergerda AC servo
readout showed for RPM.  I doubt the Tek TDS3032 scope  is wrong nor the servo.
 But the pulleys...

John