> I am prepared to state categorically that it must be a coincidence as
> "math" was not a word in Douglas Adams's lexicon. As a speaker of
> British English he would have always used "maths" as the shorter
> version of "mathematics"

Hi Andy,
That's the same comments I've heard.  However, nothing is to say that someone
didn't tell him to use that number and may have even explained that to him.
The chance has to be very very very small that someone would pick a number that
by luck that worked out to spell MATH which is required for an understanding of
the universe.

In either case MATH is also required to understand what the scope is showing
and why the waveforms aren't symmetrical.

A couple of caveats here so don't judge me too harshly.
1. The drawing of the encoder disk was done with the idea of using a 3mm tool
to cut 3.32mm slots which would result in 3.32 mm tabs at the expected
diameter.
2. Using a 4mm tool to cut 3.32 mm slots was a bit of a mistake.  Ever so
slightly.  Well.  OK.  A big mistake.

However it was a good exercise, using LinuxCNC and a number of different G-Code
files for the hub, the perimeter, the mounting holes and the slots.

And I'll have to draw up a new larger disk and do this all over again because
although the sensor bodies do a great job of being clear of the lower pulley
the actual sensor mounting tabs stick up too high.  Can't get the belt on the
lower pulley without removing a sensor bracket mounting screw and pivoting it
out of the way.

Finally, and that would only show up in a video, the ever so slightly larger
bore of the self-made cast aluminium motor pulley gives that pulley an ever so
slight wobble which through the V belt is transferred to the spindle pulley
(also self-made casting with inner cone to fit on cone spindle drive).

It shows up as jitter on the scope.

Didn't really care at the time (wasn't going to do it over) since the intention
is to change to toothed belts anyway.  Once the full CNC system is operational
with coolant, mister and splash shields, power draw bar.  And I haven't even
started on ball screws yet.

I'll post the schematic of the interface board to the PhotoLogic OPB990 series
slotted optical switches in another posting.

John Dammeyer