Is the mill hard-wired or powered with a plug into a wall outlet?   If the
mill plugs in then remove the power cord and place a plastic tarp over the
mill and have it re-inspected.  The inspector is not able to comment on
what you might use the outlet for in the future.

If he asks, tell him you are thinking of buying a Tesla Model 3 and want
need an outlet to plug in a 100 amp charger.

If the mill is hardwired then he has a point.

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 12:17 PM Ralph Stirling <
ralph.stirl...@wallawalla.edu> wrote:

> I'm in a bind now.  I just had the electrical wiring I put
> into my garage shop inspected.  The WA state inspector
> liked my wiring fine, but balked at the non-UL-listed
> CNC mill (the main point to my whole garage shop project).
> He insists it get stamped by one of the *seven* official
> "approved engineers" for the state of WA before he can
> sign off on my electric.  I suspect that the field approval
> would cost considerably more than my entire mill (1998
> vintage French 5hp spindle, 300x200x300mm travels,
> $5K).  Didn't matter to him that the new VFD is listed.
>
> Any other US-based, especially WA-based LinuxCNC
> retrofitters faced this problem successfully?
>
> Thanks,
> -- Ralph

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California