I'm running Yaskawa SGDA drives on my Hurco and velocity control did not work well. To convert from velocity to torque I just reconfigured the drives and changed the LinuxCNC PID settings. There was no change to the HAL configuration apart from the PID values.

Compared to velocity control you need to play around with the PID tuning a lot more. Halscope is pretty much essential then just keep playing with parameters while running a simple program that keeps moving back and forth at rapid speed. After a while you start to get a feel for how each affects the machine. Concentrate on P, I and D first. Once you have those set up feed forward can help improve transient response.

Les