On Wednesday 01 September 2021 08:33:41 Todd Zuercher wrote:

> I have no experience tuning one of those drives.  (but my experience
> with torque mode was less than wonderful.)  Just curious was your
> machine a retro fit that was originally equipped with those drives, or
> is it a new install of these drives?  Were the drives velocity loops
> tuned for your machine before you tried to use them?  If they weren't
> properly tuned for velocity command input on your machine it isn't
> surprising that they may not work well in that mode.  (While I haven't
> tuned those drives for Linuxcnc, I do have a machine that uses them
> with another control in I assumed velocity mode, I just haven't had to
> mess with them.)
>
> Todd Zuercher
> P. Graham Dunn Inc.
> 630 Henry Street
> Dalton, Ohio 44618
> Phone:  (330)828-2105ext. 2031

Breaking thread: Neither have I Todd.

But our wiki doesn't seem to have anything like an educational discussion
of the different "modes" of setting up a servo given the tools linuxcnc
offers.

For instance, the servo I designed to run that BS-1 clone is slow as can
be because I had to put a limit3 in series with a direction change in
order to prevent it from using reversal as a brake, it must be allowed
to run down to zero before a reversal since if reverse is used before it
stops, the current surge crowbars a 400 watt supply, shutting it down
for a cooling recovery of around 2 minutes. And it actually does get hot
in that millisecond or so of reverse. I haven't killed the supply, but
its sure scary when it happens. Because the peak speed must be so
restricted, the working response speed is less than 10% of the speeds
its capable of. If it has to home from halfway around, it takes longer
to home it than all 3 of the machines other axises in sequence.

The wiki needs more attention to the education of the new bee so as to
educate the worker bee better.

I'll get me coat now.

 - Louis D. Brandeis