> From: andy pugh [mailto:bodge...@gmail.com]
>
> On Mon, 13 Sept 2021 at 21:49, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com> wrote:
>
> > If I add print() statements where would they show up?  Or would they at all?
>
> In the terminal, if you start  LinuxCNC from the command line.
> Otherwise I fear that they might simply get lost.
>
> --
Thanks Andy,
I thought maybe I was missing some special hot key that would launch a window
from within LCNC that then displayed print messages.  Like working with the
various IDE's for code development that have a window panel for terminal
output.

I'm more used to working with program development systems that have
breakpoints, allow single stepping through assembly code and examining variable
values and even processor registers.  Working with Python is like writing in
BASIC with the Radio Shack TRS80 home computer.   I've gone back to the dark
ages...

However I do have CAN bus communications with the CANUSB functional in both
directions to/from the CANOpen device.

The next step is to see if I can use socketCAN instead of pySerial since then
the component doesn't care if it's a CANUSB on the Pi4 or a HAT using an
MCP2515.  For the PC it would still have to be USB based but the component
remains the same.

If anyone is interested I'll post my serial-relays.py program.
John Dammeyer