On Monday 22 November 2021 02:48:36 John Dammeyer wrote:

> > I assume you have a similar, fixed position spindle lock? I had to
> > make mine.
>
> Nope.  As a friend said the other day when I asked if he'd found a
> lock on his... "I use a big hammer on the supplied wrench to tighten
> or loosen it".  He's since carved a 3/4" hex head on his and is now
> using his electric impact driver manually.
>
> > Doing that twice, to position the socket as its comes down to fully
> > engage the drawbar should be doable with a dup of the same idea, but
> > since that needs to be done while its up, maybe a second ring and
> > magnet on the socket to make it work in the up position. That would
> > also give you the rotational tweek for free. The impact driver, with
> > a short 1/4" hex to 3/8" adapter should solve the socket dropping
> > problem too.
>
> Humans are funny creatures.  We do things so easily that are difficult
> for a machine.  So we reach up and place the 6 point socket over the
> draw bar.  If it doesn't go down right away we just angle/tilt/twist
> the driver a bit until it slips down and then we press the trigger.
>
> My air cylinder just rams down the driver and the 6 point socket and
> even with rounding of the inside edges of the socket it's still been
> scraping away metal on the nut.  It's not looking great at the moment
> at the attached photo shows.  Hence I'm waiting for the 12 point deep
> socket.  I don't have enough adjustment space for a normal length 12
> point and most of the 19mm sockets appear to only be 6 point for some
> reason.

Most of the 19's are 6 because they fit older spark plugs too.

Timed right, the 6 point would be easier on the bolt. On my little g0704,
its a 10mm square but I'm using an 8 point socket, I haven't found a 4
point, doubt they are even made. A 12 point would likely wipe the
corners off. The adapter locks into the tool, and the ball bearing
detent in the 4 point 1/4" adapter grabs the socket pretty firmly. I'd
assume the 3/8" adapter would be more than adequate to hold even the
heavier deep socket.

> If I had a magnet on the drawbar nut assembly (or reflective tape) I
> could rotate the spindle until I know where the one of the 6 flats is.

Humm... There is probably a random thread start for different collets, I
have them (r8 collets) from at least 5 makers making the flat random
even if tight.  To reliaby find it, I think you'd have to put glossy
paint on a fresh bolt with polished flats and search for the peak
reflectance off the gloss to nail it down accurately enough. Paint it
all, any flat would do.  And a 12 point wouldn't wear the paint off the
middle of the flat, so the paint ought to last a long time.  And I'd use
a dark paint, its the glossy reflectance peak you want to search for.
Glossy black would probably be best. Its the gloss you want to use as a
mirror. Off axis glossy black is the best black there is. Back when we
used tube color tv cameras, making a good black adjustment was the most
precious adjustment, so we often cut the black velvet out of the center
of a linearity stair step card, putting a curved partial spiral painted
glossy black on the inside, on the back of the hole. The gloss made the
light going into that spiral, it bounces back and forth in the spiral
until it was absorbed totaly, making a true black hole. Light goes in
and never comes back out. Hell of a thing to do to a $600 card (1990
prices)

>  At that point if I had fine enough control over the drive unit I
> could turn the socket until the flats were reasonably lined up before
> I send the socket down.
>
> Yes.  I'm making  this overly complicated.  It's what I do.  I can't
> help myself.  You are allowed to laugh. John

And I am, but It's not at you, its with you I hope...
I'm the same way but since I'm a CET, its the electronics that get the
attention. And folks don't always see the magic, its hidden behind the
poorly finished mechanics. So go ahead, laugh at my stuff but it usually
works well.

That sheldon has been rode hard and put away wet, 13 thou of bed wear
right in front of the spindle, but thanks to linuxcnc, it still cuts a
pretty good cylinder 36" long.

Cheers John, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis