On Tuesday 23 November 2021 02:47:59 andy pugh wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2021 at 01:05, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
wrote:
> >   Likely why the set screw works loose after a number of cycles.
>
> I am surprised that the air wrench doesn't have the usual ball-detente
> to retain the socket.

I have seen some that utilize a spring encircling the end of the driver
square, and it works moderately well, with sockets made with an internal
cutaway at the bottom of the square well.

But we haven't seen a pix of his setup w/o the socket.

Satire intended: Thats I think to encourage the sales of sockets using
that scheme, also convieniently made by the wrench peddlar of course.

That could be Johns problem. In that case John, you may be able to
machine the socket or better a new one to utilise that retainer method,
but take care, too deep a groove and the socket may be stuck on forever.
Show us a closeup pix with the socket removed.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis