On Wednesday, 30 March 2022 21:40:40 EDT Chris Albertson wrote:
> If the problem is that the tool dulls before the job is finished, then
> write-in some tool changes.  The process stops periodically, you
> inspect the cutter, change it or not, then it continues.
>
> My guess is that the cutter will last long enough to cut 100 of these
> hardwood screws.  HSS mill work cutters used in shaper tables can do
> hundreds of feet of trim work and carbide cutters last nearly forever
> even in production environments.

The guy I bought that plank from tells me that hard maple is gettng more
abrasive since his grandfather started the business a century back. He
blames it on the tree absorbing some of the airborn dirt it didn't have
to contend with 150 years ago.  And since I'm spinning an 1/16" round
nose with a relative small DOC to get a smoother surface, he assured me I
will be changing tools.

> Years ago my father made some wooden threads.  he had a tap and die set
> for wood.   No idea where to get one.

I used to see them, but for smaller threads, 3/4 inch or so, adv in Fine
Woodworkings classifieds, but that memory is likely a decade + old now.
I'm using PETG to make the nuts and am surprised at the relative
slickeryness of PETG of its turning its own difference form, shrunk half
a mm, and also made from PETG. Obviously much harder than teflon, but
just as slick without any lube as teflon would be. If I can make the
screw to that exact shape, bake a coat of carnaba wax into it, it ought
to make a vise screw you can pass on to your great grandchild if he gets
interested in carving wood for a livelyhood. Some are wood magicians,
such as Sam Maloof was. He was an immigrant from one of Isreal's
neighbors, settled around Redwood city in Ca. and started making
classical wooden rocking chairs. He wound up making them for several
presidents starting with J. F. Kennedy. One he made for his wife that was
sold at Sothby's after she died, the bidding finally stopped at $125,000.
She had left instructions that the proceeds were to go to a charity.

Congress declared him as a National Treasure about 10 years before he
passed at 92, working in his shop till just a few days before he passed.

Made of California's best walnut, he didn't take "vacations" but he did
travel, to visit the chairs he had made so if they were getting a loose
joint or? he'd ship them back to his shop and do whatever to make it as
good as new.  Usually gratis.

Those are awful big shoes for anyone to aspire to fill.

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 4:16 PM andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 at 23:59, gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > > That could handle the writing of a progress file doing exactly what
> > > want. But that in turn would need to be able to read that file on a
> > > restart. And be able to set zero defaults IF that file doesn't
> > > exist.
> > >
> > > Can LinuxCNC do that ??
> >
> > No, but you could.
> >
> > If you know where your loop counter had got to, you could edit the
> > G-code to initialise it there.
> >
> > --
> > atp
> > "A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is
> > designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and
> > lunatics."
> > — George Fitch, Atlanta Constitution Newspaper, 1912

> --
>
> Chris Albertson
> Redondo Beach, California

Cheers, Gene Heskett.