Knowing the mass of the wheel is not enough, you need to know how far the
mas is from the center of rotation.   They call this "Moment of inertia"
There are ways of calculating this for simple wheel shapes like a plain
disk but for anything else you are best off if you just measure it.

The simplest way you can find your answer with not much math is to wrap a
string around the wheel and attach a weight to the string and time how long
it takes for the weight to fall some distance.  The weight will apply a
torque to the wheel equal to the weight times the radius of whatever you
wrapped the string around.

Make the weight bigger until it works, then buy a motor that can supply
that torque, plus a bit more.

if you really want to calculate the moment, perhaps because you have not
yet built the wheel then remember that the wheels moment is equal to the
some of the moments of the parts of the wheel (the parts add up)  So divide
the wheel into (say) a rim, a thin disk and a hub find the moment of each
and then add them.

But the string experiment is easier.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 5:53 PM John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
wrote:

> OK.  I realize this will be a dumb question but please bear with me
> especially since I've included the ability to accelerate in my Electronic
> Lead Screw project.
>
> A friend and I were discussing bringing a 300 pound flywheel up to speed.
> Vz=0 RPM, Vf=50 RPM.  Reduction drive to the flywheel shaft is 32:1 so
> final speed of motor is 1600 RPM.
>
> Assume we're happy with 5 seconds to accelerate for Tz to Tf.  Motor
> voltage is 12V.
>
> We have the mass, we have the velocity, we have the time and motor
> voltage.  The question is what are the calculations to determine how much
> current the motor will require to create this acceleration?  Assuming of
> course the motor is 100% efficient.
>
> We're getting all confused with F=ma and 1/2*a*t^2 etc.
>
> What size motor is actually needed to do this?
>
> Thanks.
> John
>
> "ELS! Nothing else works as well for your Lathe"
> Automation Artisans Inc.
> www dot autoartisans dot com

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California