On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 12:25 AM John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
wrote:

> Of course doesn't include the bolts nor the ball bearings but does give an
> idea of rotational inertia.

Monemts of inertia add together.  If there is a wheel and a bolt, then
compute the inertia of the wheel, then compute the ineria of the bolt when
at it's radias from center then add the two to get the total.   Typically
you need to do this for all the parts, like the shaft and bearings.  If the
wheel is a complex shape like a disk with a wide rim the cut it up into
simpler parts, find the inertia of each part then add the parts.

I am in awe of anyone who can do this using American Costomary units (feet,
pounds,  and such)   Even in the late 1970's when I took physics at UCLA
the work was all in metric.  Yes we did get some problems using feet or
BTUs and such but the advice was to convert up front, work the problem then
convert back.   Seriously, the American unit of mass is "slugs", not pounds
(ounds is an American unit of force, not mass) and if you don't keep this
straight the answer is wrong.

jo...@autoartisans.com> jo...@autoartisans.com>

albertson.ch...@gmail.com]
> > > Sent: June-16-22 6:56 PM
> > > To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
> > > Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Acceleration question.
> > >
> > > Knowing the mass of the wheel is not enough, you need to know how far
the
> > > mas is from the center of rotation.   They call this "Moment of
inertia"
> > > There are ways of calculating this for simple wheel shapes like a
plain
> > > disk but for anything else you are best off if you just measure it.
> > >
> > > The simplest way you can find your answer with not much math is to
wrap a
> > > string around the wheel and attach a weight to the string and time how
> > long
> > > it takes for the weight to fall some distance.  The weight will apply
> > > torque to the wheel equal to the weight times the radius of whatever
you
> > > wrapped the string around.
> > >
> > > Make the weight bigger until it works, then buy a motor that can
supply
> > > that torque, plus a bit more.
> > >
> > > if you really want to calculate the moment, perhaps because you have
not
> > > yet built the wheel then remember that the wheels moment is equal to
the
> > > some of the moments of the parts of the wheel (the parts add up)  So
> > divide
> > > the wheel into (say) a rim, a thin disk and a hub find the moment of
each
> > > and then add them.
> > >
> > > But the string experiment is easier.
> > >
> > > On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 5:53 PM John Dammeyer < <mailto:
jo...@autoartisans.com> jo...@autoartisans.com>

> > Electronic

> > speed.

> > much