On 4/17/24 13:02, Todd Zuercher via Emc-users wrote:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've had to live with this on a machine that
I'm using cascaded double PID loops on.  I have the velocity loop PIDs running
in a fast floating point base thread to help with the tuning of some
cantankerous torque mode servos.  The position loops are still in the servo
thread (because I can't run the whole servo thread as fast as I can the
floating point base thread.)  Reading/writing to the Mesa hardware in a faster
loop than the servo thread seems to break the f-error disable for the encoder
reset.  I think because the encoder reset doesn't always occur when the it is
expecting it or something to that effect.  I've tried just running a faster
servo-thread, but I can run the lighter floating point base thread about 4x
faster than I can the whole servo-thread.

This might be a place where the stepper/servo can be demonstrability better Todd. I am slowly converting my cnc stuff to run them. No OID's except the one in the controller itself. They do exactly what the TP tells them to do, and does it many times faster because the new controllers can use much higher voltages which jack up potential accelerations.

These new controllers adjust the motor current based on the error. So the motors run cool to downright cold, a saving you can see in the electric bill you pay monthly. If they run into something the current rises to whatever the PSU can supply, for one internal cycle. If that does not reduce the error, they shut the motor off and close the alm circuit. Wired into hal to do an e-stop they will shut down LCNC in the next servo-thread.

I now have 5 of them running in the garage, but have yet to encounter one of those sudden stops. And none of them have a PID in the control path other that whats in the controller. I've parts on hand to convert the GO704's 3 main axis's, A already is. 2 more are running the Sheldon, and 2 are running Z and B on the 6040. They simply do not make mistakes.

Todd Zuercher
P. Graham Dunn Inc.
630 Henry Street
Dalton, Ohio 44618