Thanks for the links, Alice. I started reading but Nick Land came up so i
stopped reading immediately. I never took him to be state-of-the-art
theory. Others might find the space interesting but its just not for me.
Reaons given here: https://www.versobooks.com/blogs/3284-on-nick-land

Patrick is i think pointing us both back to the nineties but also forward,
and i think that's a good note to hit before anyone starts getting into a
nostalgic vein. I think its more about bracketing-off what networks came to
be in the two consolidations of the power of what i call the vectoralist
class. The first was around 2000, with the rise of corporate forms built on
nothing but IP. The second came a decade later, with the commdification not
just of information but also of the social network itself.

Patrick also asks why the mushroom as a figure. I don't really understand
how this part works, but it is the bit i find intriguing: that mushrooms
have 36,000 genders, or something like that. Maybe Shu Lea's introduction
of the mycelium into discussion will encourage me to get a layhumans' grasp
on how that works. It seems just at first sight to be be an interesting
thought-image of how protocols might work otherwise.

mw