Dear Daniel et al.

On 23 Jul 2014, at 07:00, Daniel Tércio <danielter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, even before (re)visiting the triad of porosity-perception-presence,
> let me return naively to the use of the
> term embodiment in different languages. And let me use the experience of
> Portuguese language that adopted this term, at the same time
> questioning its adequacy and its translation. Two points arise on this: in
> Portuguese one may find the term “carne” (chain). Embodiment
> = “encarnação”? This sounds very mystical when one thinks in Crist as the
> incarnation of God.

Thanks Daniel for reminding us of the chasms we are all trying to deal with,
not just between experience and language, but between languages. Just to
clarify and check - I thought 'carne' in Portuguese would mean 'meat' or
'flesh' in English? 'Chair' is the French word for flesh. However, in English,
chair is something to sit on, which in bodily-terms is our backside - in
Portuguese = traseiro.
I was at an International conference on gesture in Frankfurt Oder a couple of
years ago, and presentations were being signed for any participants with
hearing difficulties. I don't sign , but it seemed that the concept "Embodied
Cognition" was interpreted by a combination of spelling out the words, together
with a gesture to the head - so (if I understood it correctly) 'thinking' was
situated in the head, which really complicates grasping the notion of situating
thinking in all of the body.

Now to go back to Johannes' question a couple of days ago -
On 21 Jul 2014, at 07:28, Johannes Birringer <johannes.birrin...@brunel.ac.uk>
wrote

> Most likely I cannot speak for the participants, although I also tried the
> system (MotionComposer has 6 environments of different sounds that can be
> triggered) and failed to enjoy it; the participants with disabilities laughed
> and cheered it, so they must have felt their movements mattered ..... yet I
> was worried that it didn't  (and perhaps Sue has some experience on this?).

I haven't done much work specifically with people with dis-abilities, so I
can't comment on that particular question. I have however worked with some
people who have very different body-experience to my own, being survivors of
torture. This really emphasised for me the notion of body as archive (Lepecki)
and being haunted by 'ghosts'. (I'm trying to link up questions of ghosts and
hauntings and resonances from the last few posts) I feel there is something
about the traces of these ghosts' gestures, rendered visible as micro-movements
or "ghost-gestures" (Elizabeth Dempster) which pattern the
rhythms-resonances-melodies that lend distinctiveness to the 'movement
signature' of the individual. This signature, what Shets-Johnstone refers to as
kinaesthetic/kinetic melody, seems to me to be quite subtle, something that I
for one become more attuned to when engaging in somatic or bodily practices,
and through the extension of self in virtual spaces  (whether that virtual is
computationally or imaginitively generated).

So, re: snake-oil,  slapstick' engagement, and 'fake' embodiment.: of course I
think uber skepticism is useful; almost everything  is mediated through
marketing-speak, and funded projects must be seen to approach their stated
outcome(s), so the writing about the potential experience can seem to promise
more than some people feel they get. We should always be wary of snake-oiliness
- especially when the merchant is Facebook - but I agree with Hellen about the
amazing potential to understand the intertwinedness of one's own experience
in-and-as the system, through spending time in-and-as some amazing interactive
environments. Of course we cannot presuppose to acheive the same effect/affect
for every participant.
A lot more has been said since you raised this point. so this repeats a bit. Of
course if  time and context limit how long people will spend in an environment,
so the interface design might need to have a fast and easily digested
interaction, resulting in some people acting in rather basic ways. But this
problem isn't unique to "interactive environments". I have only tried skiing
once, and was terrible at it, got my feet in a tangle and fell over a lot. I
then had a pillion ride with a friend who is an excellent skier. It was
amazing!  So I got a fast, cheap & dirty (slapstick/fake?) version of something
experienced by  a proficient skier who has invested huge amounts of the time
and effort.  For me it was still worth it. Surely interaction and the
experience of it occurs along a gradient, its not all either slapstick or
metaphysical.

best, Sue

SUE HAWKSLEY
independent dance artist