Dear all, Daniel

Thanks, this is - for me! - useful and welcome; the language questions you
outline obviously espouse those I deal with in French, though I'm not aware
of "embodiment" being integrated as a solution - l'incorporation and
l'incarnation have tricky resonance, as you say. In the mystical vein,
"transsubstantiation" can perhaps interestingly (and translatably) get
closer to interim/ limbo zones some of the list's reflection about "virtual
embodiment" seems to touch on ("intertwinedness in-and-as-the system", as
per Sue's last posting). I'd love to hear more on your take on ghosts and
haunting and resonance, Sue, as I'm also grappling with this stuff -
something I've previously tried to articulate as "registers of presence"
where this allows for slippage, movement across (translation), etc. Notions
of kinesthetic/ kinetic melody are exciting - as is Lefebvre's rhythmicity
(?).  Etienne Souriau's "modes d'existence", makes a claim for the equal
and concurrent viability of multiple (infinite) "species" of existence,
where memories, fictive personalities or absent beings may be construed as
just as, or more present, than those physically around us. Souriau
emphasises as fundamentally dynamic, the proxemics and positioning of and
between these different modes of existence, potential for movement between
them, more than any inherent dynamics they may respectively manifest.

I do like your skiing, pillion-riding account, Sue - hitching a ride on
someone's physical skills negotiating a particular kind of space. A
beautiful example of physical enjoyment not-quite-by-proxy. Our kinesthetic
pleasure at the soaring of the trapezist is procured somewhere else along
the gradient you mention, to which I thoroughly adhere. And yes to
entanglements of embodiments and technologies. Co-implications of being and
environment (Varela et al...). Pierre Rabardel differentiates metaphors
associated with the black box with those of the glass box, looking at
issues of functional/ operational and cognitive transparency; maybe his
thinking, which goes back a couple of decades, lets us imagine an evolving
gradient between opacity and transparency in our design and use of our
different corporeal/ interactive extensions and counterparts?

best from sunny Brighton, where it's currently a delight to rove across
embodiment and milieu models with plunges into the brine

sj