See comments inline

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan DeKok <al...@deployingradius.com>
Date: Thursday, 12 September 2019 at 15:56
To: Aura Tuomas <tuomas.a...@aalto.fi>
Cc: EMU WG <emu@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-emu-eap-tl...@ietf.org"
<draft-ietf-emu-eap-tl...@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Emu] POST WGLC Comments draft-ietf-emu-eap-tls13
Resent from: <alias-boun...@ietf.org>
Resent to: John Mattsson <john.matts...@ericsson.com>, <mo...@piuha.net>
Resent date: Thursday, 12 September 2019 at 15:56

>    Alan DeKok wrote:
>    On Sep 12, 2019, at 9:53 AM, Aura Tuomas <tuomas.a...@aalto.fi> wrote:
>   >
>    > I was looking at the EAP-TLS with TLS 1.3 draft and noticed that it
> forbids PSK >authentication. Why is that?

There was discussion regarding this on the list some years ago. The conclusion
was to use the EAP-TLS Type-Code should be exclusively for certificate
authentication. At that point, nobody expressed wish to use EAP-TLS with PSK
authentication. If someone wants to use EAP-TLS with symmetric keys that should
probably be a  new code point.

>      See Section 2.1.2.  TLS 1.3 uses PSK for resumption.  As a result, we
> *cannot* use PSK for >authentication in EAP-TLS.

I don't understand why this could not be done. My view is that allowing PSK
authentication would be quite easy.

>    > While there is the EAP-PSK method, I would much rather use EAP-TLS with
> PSK because it >provides identity protection and perfect forward secrecy,
> unlike EAP-PSK.
>
>      Use EAP-PWD for that.

Standardizing EAP-TLS should only be done if it has some significant advantages
over EAP-PWD, and there are people wanting to implement and use it. 3GPP is
e.g. adding  identity protection and perfect forward secrecy to EAP-AKA instead.