On Sep 18, 2019, at 8:45 AM, Owen Friel (ofriel) <ofr...@cisco.com> wrote:

>>  Which means that if PSK was allowed, the server can't look at the packets to
>> distinguish resumption from "raw" PSK.  Instead, the server has to look at
>> it's
>> resumption cache which may be in a DB.
>
> The server can use the PskIdentity in the PreSharedKeyExtension to
> differentiate between an offline PSK used for authentication vs. a PSK
> established via NewSessionTicket.

  Please define "use".  As an implementor, I can't implement "my code USES a
field".  I need to know what the code *does* with it.

  How does the code differentiate between PSK identities?  Are the identity
formats different?  If so, how and why?

  What prevents a malicious attacker from "using" a format which matches an
identity coming from NewSessionTicket?

  My understanding is that the code *cannot* make any decisions simply by
looking at the PSK identity field.  Instead, it has to look at the resumption
cache to see if a given PSK matches a cached one.  Or maybe the code looks in a
DB to see if the given PSK is a real "end-user" PSK in the DB.

  Simply waving your hands and saying it "uses" a field is unhelpful.  Please
give substantive feedback and/or advice about what the code *does*.

  Alan DeKok.