The server can use the PskIdentity in the PreSharedKeyExtension to
differentiate between an offline PSK used for authentication vs. a PSK
established via NewSessionTicket.

There should be no problem here, and the statement

" Pre-Shared Key (PSK) authentication SHALL NOT be used except
   for resumption. "

should be updated to clarify.