It is unclear to me what kind of information you expect the adversary to
learn from the current EncFS structure with encrypted filenames (and the
other protections, like block-encoding file names, etc), what what in your
opinion that adversary could do with that information.

I wonder if the extra complexity and fragility this mechanism introduces
are worth the extra protection it offers.

For example, I couldn’t care less that my directory structure is revealed.
Hiding file names is plenty good enough for my use case.

For those who’d rather have a completely opaque container, there is
VeraCrypt.
--
Regards,
Uri Blumenthal