On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 16:38:00 -0700 "Travis Whitehead via RT"
<supp...@osuosl.org> said:

> Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.
>
> On Wed Sep 26 10:03:30 2018, ras...@rasterman.com wrote:
> > i already checked on the parts. i can buy a fan, but we had a spare
> > parts box
> > bought and shipped WITH the server and it has a spare fan in it. that
> > fan
> > should be the correct one according to my checks. if that box of
> > spares can be
> > found then there is a spare fan sitting on site already. i want to
> > know if that
> > spare parts box and fan can be/have been found? if not then i can
> > order a fan.
>
> I looked around the NOC today and located the spare fan.
> However, I'm a bit confused about the situation.
>
> I opened up enlightenment5, and there are currently 5 fans present.
> All five fans were spinning as expected. I've attached a photo of them
> spinning [1]. There is also a slot for a 6th fan which is unoccupied.
>
> Looking through the ticket history, it appears at one point there was an
> indication that FAN4 had failed?
>
> JJ, did you ever open the box and witness a fan not spinning?
> Did you already replace a fan?

yes. fan 4 was it... and you reported beeping noises/complaints. i was hunting
down the right fan when i noticed we had a spares box with it and it should be
there at OSUOSL.

> I tested the spare fan and it also works. I wanted to insert this into the
> 6th slot in hopes that it would help with the temperature issues, but the
> problem is that the sixth connector on the motherboard requires a long
> extension cable to reach it. I didn't find one in the spare parts box.
> I've attached a second photo [2] of this cable and the connector
> (see where my finger is pointing). It's possible we have one of those
> cables around somewhere, but I'm not sure yet.

I don't think there should be a need. I was under the impression a fan was
still broken and beeping and that this needed a fix to ensure cooling and less
annoyance for you guys... :)

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com