From: Stefan Schmidt <ste...@datenfreihafen.org>
Sent: 24 April 2019 10:27
To: enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [E-devel] EFL Autotools freeze proposal

Hello.

On 17.04.19 15:15, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 08:19:35 -0400 Mike Blumenkrantz
> <michael.blumenkra...@gmail.com> said:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are currently in the 1.23 release cycle, and it seems agreed upon
>> that we are planning to remove autotools prior to the 1.23 release.
>> Overall, the meson build is in reasonable shape--there are some small
>> issues on our main platforms (and larger ones for Windows)--and it
>> should not be an issue to meet this goal.
>
> i thought meson was in better shape...
>
>> With this in mind, I would like to propose a freeze on the autotools
>> build starting Friday. This means that we no longer modify the
>> autotools build in any way in the master branch (excepting
>> outstanding patches in phab), and instead focus entirely on ensuring the
>> quality of the meson build system.
>
> i think we should push this off a few more weeks/month or 2.

I would like to get reports on what is actually missing or problematic.
We can push back the freeze a bit, but its only a freeze, not the autotools
removal. And we need people to switch over to see if all the crazy use cases we
do not have are covered.

>> There is not much action which would need to be taken for this:
>> * stop patching build files
>> * disable CI jobs for autotools
>>

>> I think this would help to streamline build system development and
>> reduce overhead for this release.
>
> i agree on this - but the autofoo needs to still work and be up to
> date until the point where meson is equivalent - the windows work is
> one ware it needs to catch up on for sure as well as some other
> niggles. get all of these up to snuff and... yup. drop autotools.

ok, so a concrete list of things that blocks autotools freeze and removal:

1) Windows port: ecore_win32 (gdi and ddraw engines) need to work, maybe more
to come, feedback from Vincent needed.

2) Meson minumim version requirement: Need to check if there is a backport for
Ubuntu LTS, maybe a list with meson versions on different distros?

Pretty sure there will be more, but the question is if we find out before we
drop autotools or not.

regards
Stefan Schmidt