Simon wrote:

> For the GL engine, you can probably modify the texture matrix to
> transform the filling of an image. I'm not sure how well it would
> work with borders though (but actually, what borders "mean" when
> the fill is transformed?)

        Two different sets of 'transforms' are involved here:

        Simon wrote:

> For the GL engine, you can probably modify the texture matrix to
> transform the filling of an image. I'm not sure how well it would
> work with borders though (but actually, what borders "mean" when
> the fill is transformed?)

        One would be those which apply to how the image-fill should
behave, ie. border-scale the fill, then rotate/skew that, etc. So,
you need to border-scale first to a buffer and then apply any further
trans (ie. any rotation/skewing/whatever) to *that* buffer result
(and  repeat/reflect/restrict as need be).
        That is basically independent of any engine particulars --
We need to fill-scale to a buffer first in order for the 'pieces' of
the image to fit together accurately and without 'seams' when further
tansformed and composited. The only way to avoid doing this is if the
rendering engine has the ability to deal with the 9 abutting pieces as
a 'whole', so that no edges get sampled/composited twice. It's possible
that gl may be able to do that via meshes.

        The second set of transforms would be as applies to the
obj as a whole, and there what one actually does depends on what
the engines have available as being easiest.. But the semantics would
be that the result is that the object as a whole is transformed,
after the filling transforms are done.

        If you think of an image object as a rectangle which has
been filled with a "pattern" (in vgfx terminology.. or "textured"
as I prefer to call it), then transforms to the image object (as
opposed to the fill, ie. the pattern), are the same as transforming
the patterned rectangle. :)

   jose.