Hello,

Since I try to port the efl on windows, I've run into some problems with
autofoo (strange, isn't it ?). I've looked a bit at autoconf and libtool
doc, and I think that configure.in scripts can be improved a bit.

Here is what I propose. Feel free to tell me if my proposals are not
correct.

1) replacing

AM_ENABLE_SHARED
AM_PROG_LIBTOOL

by

AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

By default, AC(AM)_PROG_LIBTOOL turns on the shared library, so no need to
have AM_ENABLE_SHARED, and AM_PROG_LIBTOOL is deprecated.

2) adding AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL for the efl that are ported to windows. For
now, eet, evas, ecore, embryo, edje and efreet. I've almost finished ewl,
so I would like to add it to ewl too.

3) adding

define([AC_LIBTOOL_LANG_CXX_CONFIG], [:])dnl
define([AC_LIBTOOL_LANG_F77_CONFIG], [:])dnl

to remove the check of fortran and c++ by libtool. Note that the first
macro should not be added if a lib can use c++ (like evas). I've already
written a mail about that and I follow the remark of Andreas.

4) using bindir, libdir and al. in configure.in is not correct. See for
example:

http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Installation-Directory-Variables

in addition, on Windows, the current use of these variables leads to
errors (the directories are wrong).

I would suggest that we follow the documentation of autoconf, that is
adding the macro we want to INCLUDE or AM_CPPFLAGS or other var in the
Makefile.am's, when they are needed.

For example:

INCLUDES = \
-DPACKAGE_DATA_DIR=\"$(datadir)\"

5) ading in configure.in the versions use by libtool for its flag
-version-info. Right now, they are harcoded in the Makefile.am.

Ideas ? remarks ?

Vincent