On Monday, 01 October 2007, at 20:07:41 (+0200),
Albin Tonnerre wrote:

> Thoughts ? (hint: 'this is your distro's problem" is not a valid answer)

Not only is it valid, it's correct.  It is the responsibility of the
build system to correctly process dependencies (whether hard or soft)
to make sure that the build environment contains all packages
requested for the build.  The packaging should insure that failures
due to missing prerequisites either occur or do not occur, according
to the policies of the particular distribution.

Relying on the upstream package provider to ensure compliance with
Debian packaging standards is entirely the wrong approach.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Linux Server/Cluster Admin, LBL.gov       Author, Eterm (www.eterm.org)