>         I don't think there's a need to require that 'thumbnailing'
> must involve a specific means for storing some standard image format
> somewhere.. one may not want or need to store anything really. There's
> really very little difference between 'thumbnailing', 'iconifying',
> 'pre-viewing', ... or 'full-viewing'.

At the very least, it should be a negotiable process where clients can
specify the result formats they can support and the thumbnailer can
select from those supported formats. A fallback requirement of png or
some other standard format would be reasonable. This would allow us to
support jpg, mpeg, edje, or whatever format we choose, and any clients
that also support those formats could benefit.