> > Man, we all say some silly things in time, but this has to be one
> > of the good ones from you.  :)   It's a 'load option' so it's fine
> > for this to be 'optionally' implemented in a loader? Wow!
>
> correct. load options include things like DPI settings. do you
> expect every loader to now scale images based on DPI - the loader
> doesnt even know what the DPI of most image formats is - will it
> "fake" one (eg 75dpi) just to make this "work" ? these options are

        Yes, because that's exactly what we did (for the one and only
loader that respects that, the svg one), except I believe it was 90 dpi
not 75 that we used.
        I can understand some 'option' so particular to a format that
it had absolutely no relevance to other formats.. eg. a format might
support various kinds of de-compressions, speed vs quality kinds of
things or whatnot.. but that's just not what's being adressed here.
We're talking about, essentially, about image sizes - likely the most
common attribute you can think of for "images".

> there if the loader can do something easily/for "free" while loading.
> for some formats like SVG rendering at a DPI is part of loading -
> or at a size, so it comes for free. for jpeg scaling down by 2, 4 or
> 8 in each dimension is for "free". if every loader implements this
> i also need to add controls over the scalign quality (smooth or
> samples for example).

        None of this has any real bearing on the issue at hand - ie.
wether evas itself should do the re-sizing on load, or let everyone
who needs it have to copy&paste your e17 solution. But it's your call
so we'll leave at that. :)