On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 16:36:48 -0600 "Nathan Ingersoll" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

> >         I don't think there's a need to require that 'thumbnailing'
> > must involve a specific means for storing some standard image format
> > somewhere.. one may not want or need to store anything really. There's
> > really very little difference between 'thumbnailing', 'iconifying',
> > 'pre-viewing', ... or 'full-viewing'.
>
> At the very least, it should be a negotiable process where clients can
> specify the result formats they can support and the thumbnailer can
> select from those supported formats. A fallback requirement of png or
> some other standard format would be reasonable. This would allow us to
> support jpg, mpeg, edje, or whatever format we choose, and any clients
> that also support those formats could benefit.

agreed - or not even a negotiation. client sends a list of formats it can
handle (maybe with a priority number for each as it may handle one better than
another) and the thumbnailer then choses one - if it can't, it just reports an
error that it can't generate a thumb.