On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 1:50 AM, Jose Gonzalez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    Andreas wrote:
>
>  >>> The calculator works nice with edje_editor, but if I open it with
>  >>> edje_viewer it doesn't work. What is the preferred way to run
>  >>> "self-hosting" edje application?
>  >>>
>  >>       What's the relevant notion of: "self-hosting" edje application?
>  >>
>  >
>  > My definition of "self-hosting" edje apps is an application that
>  > doesn't need any special C code to work. See the calculator that is
>  > referenced in the starting E-Mail from this thread.
>  >
>  >

>       Then one needs to extend edje/embryo scripting far more than
>  it's currently capable of.. and for it to be sufficiently capable
>  for general kinds of 'apps' it may need to have access to system
>  calls and other things. One'd also need to have well-known entry
>  points into the .edj file - either a special main group or a special
>  script function to execute on load or some such, and have all being
>  executed in some kind of 'runtime'.
>
>       The problem with this approach is that it doesn't provide a
>  means to 'theme' the 'app', unless one explicitly allows for that
>  ability as part of your notion of 'app'.
>
>       Note that things like Flash/mxml (then to swf) or Silverlight/
>  xaml (may also have some binary representation), unlike edje/edc,
>  have extensive 'script' language support and allow for separating
>  the code logic from the 'gui' part in separate files if desired
>  (though I suppose one could do this with edje/edc/embryo).
>
>       One could also envision this notion in a manner similar to e17's
>  current modules minus the configuration widgets, or like the notion of
>  'themable-evas-objects' I've mentioned a couple of times, ie. shared
>  libs that have certain C function interfaces (such as 'add obj to an
>  evas', 'set a them file on an obj', 'set,get a property/value on an
>  obj', etc), or via scripting language modules of whatever sort.
>       One could think of these as self-determined rather than self-
>  hosting, and could be loaded by any program that knows the interfaces
>  they expose. It also gives a canonical notion of 'theme' file so that
>  one can theme these 'apps' - even though they may be self-determined,
>  one may still want to separate the gui aspects in such a way that the
>  'app' can be given different gui themes.
>
>       In general, there are many, many ways to imagine these kinds
>  of notions.. but even when things start out 'self-contained', they
>  often seem to end up wanting to become less and less so, in order
>  to allow for more flexibility, theming, modularization, etc.

Jose,

The whole point of using Embryo instead of other VM is exactly that
you don't have any access to user's machine. I agree with that, I'd
avoid adding these calls, for such thing we can use Python or Ruby or
other scripting languages with full-system support, they have
different scope.

I think that Andreas idea is close to mine: allow users to have nice,
beautiful toys, that are really easy to make with pure-Edje/Embryo
today, as it was demonstrated by Dave's calculator. Another examples
would be calendar viewers, little games and more... Please don't
consider these "apps" like we're used to, I don't see any need for
themes, since you just need to get another app that looks like you
want.

That said, I see some room for improvement:
   - some persistance, either sqlite or eet support from embryo,
allowing save minor state. This should be sandboxed as well;
   - some call, could be a change of size hint -- see property and
callback, that would make the app host (ie: loader) to resize), maybe
calls to make it fullscreen;
    - evas.inc (evas bindings for embryo);
    - gettext.inc (gettext bindings for embryo), maybe make gettext
support transparent for strings... this would be a great addition to
Edje: add a flag to mark TEXT/TEXTBLOCK as translatable and pack .po
inside .edj

having http+xml (maybe xmlrpc for easy of use) would help, but would
make it more unsafe, the loader would have to specifically control
whenever the .edj would have such permissions, thus I don't think it's
something for now, but the above ideas are easy.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi