Nick Hughart wrote:
> Christopher Michael wrote:
>> Nick Hughart wrote:

>>> And we are to assume it was the license all along?  I can't say I
>>> agree with that.  In fact I think it has nothing to do with the
>>> license, but possibly with the people involved.  Raster is a
>>> developer, not a marketing machine and as far as I've been part of
>>> this community, I haven't seen anyone step forward to really act as
>>> the lead of a marketing type department for E.  Also, has usage of
>>> open source in the corporate world been the same over the last 10
>>> years?  Did the introduction of the LGPL all the sudden accelerate
>>> open source into corporate use?  I don't think it has as much to do
>>> with the license as it does with the people who are in the
>>> community.  If we've pushed away people who could help in this dept
>>> then that was our fault.
>>>
>> Totally agree with Nick here. My thoughts exactly.
>>
>>> I think the biggest fear the community has is that letting in
>>> excessive amounts of devs will hurt the high performance and
>>> stability measures that we keep around here (I could be wrong, but it
>>> feels this way).  This doesn't have to be the case and we could
>>> definitely open ourselves up a bit more, but I think we have to be
>>> careful how we do so and I think we have to refrain from jumping to
>>> conclusions on how to fix it, i.e. licensing changes.
>> Agreed.
>>
>>> You said it yourself, we are considered niche and elitist and I can
>>> certainly think of reasons why that is.  People find our use of CVS
>>> out-dated.  They don't understand how CVS works because they've come
>>> from projects that use Subversion or Git instead and are used to
>>> those.  I don't think these days it's really a matter of CVS just
>>> working, it may just be one of the blockers that many potential devs
>>> don't feel like bothering with.  Another is just people in the
>>> community in general, we may not have this elitist tag for nothing ;)
>>>
>> Well, as with the license issue, I cannot see our choice of SCMS being
>> a real blocker. If someone is interesting in using/contributing to
>> "E", then they will. SCMS doesn't really have anything todo with this
>> IMO. I've heard you say it many times Nick...Subversion is just like
>> CVS :) So if they can use Subversion, they can use CVS :P
>>
>> dh
>
> Yes, you're right, I have said that and I still think it's quite true.
> I was more thinking from a pure psychological point a view though, they
> just don't like using CVS because to them it's old and outdated, they
> want to use the new stuff with all it's fancy technology.  Git is quite
> a bit different and I've never had the opportunity to play with it
> enough to make a firm judgment, so I won't say much about it's usability.

Kind of how I hate to use Subversion ?? ;) Still tho, I don't see any
particular SCMS being an issue really. If someone believes enough in the
project, they will take the time to learn. Switching to a new SCMS, IMO,
is not going to magically attract tons more developers/contributors.
Same for switching licenses IMO.