On 3-Aug-08, at 2:50 PM, Hisham Mardam Bey wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 1:46 PM, dan sinclair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 3-Aug-08, at 1:27 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey, but that's ok for _YOU_, isn't it?! You already said it's fine
>>> and that's exactly the purpose to use BSD over LGPL. We're just
>>> being
>>> more friendly and instead of keeping it proprietary.
>>
>> People contributing to the community? Sure that's ok for me. That's
>> ok
>> for everyone I believe. I think that's kinda the point. People
>> contributing to the community works perfectly well under BSD and has
>> been working perfectly well.
>>

> Dan, if you're referring to the EFL community, then I really think you
> should look at just how many active contributors we have. The number
> of people contributing to CVS is tiny, I wouldn't exactly use the word
> "perfect" to describe this situation, unless of course you think that
> 5 or less people contributing code and a couple hundred users that
> like to experiment with "alternate desktop environments" constitute
> what you'd call a "community working perfectly well". In 10 years
> time, we've made almost no noticible progress when it comes to growing
> the EFL developer or user base. We're still regarded as a niche and
> elitist group both in developer and user land. I believe its time to
> change the rules of the game and see what happens, specially given the
> fact that developers backed by companies are showing interest in
> contributing code under LGPL (and are starting to pave the future path
> of the EFL by doing so).

I'd say our problem lies in re-implementing the same things over and
over again. We never make progress in anything because we just re-
implement the same libraries.

Changing licenses won't help that. I wonder how many people have been
driven away because of the sheer number of libraries in CVS and seeing
the duplication.

dan