I'm still playing catch up after being off the 'net for four months,
but this caught my attention...

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:00:24 -0300 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
<barbi...@profusion.mobi> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 7:22 AM, Sergey Semernin
> <sergey.semer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I can help you. What tasks are remaining exactly?
> >
> > In my view there are several major improvements: removable devices
> > mount with correct fstab processing (so devices can be mounting
> > properly when fstab corresponding fstab records exists); grid
> > representation in fileman window with name, type, size, access
> > rights, etc.; toolbar in file manager window with most using
> > operations.
>
> we should use hal (or device kit, or similar) and not bother about
> /etc/fstab, so the thing today is how to populate one folder with real
> and virtual items.

Maybe this is getting fixed, or is discussed in the hundreds of E17
emails I am still reading through.  When I tried it, I got complaints
that HAL wont mount my devices cos they are listed in fstab.  WTF?  I
don't know about this HAL stuff, but what's wrong with having the
device in fstab?  It's in there so that it goes to a fixed place that I
decided, with the options I want, and then I can just "mount /foo"
when not using a GUI.  Seems pointless to not live happily with a very
long lived standard way of dealing with this sort of thing.

It all just seems silly.