On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:06:34 +0200 "hannes.janet...@gmail.com"
<hannes.janet...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:42 AM, David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 17:17:10 -0700 Michael Jennings <m...@kainx.org>
> > wrote:

> >> My impression based on the IRC conversation was that Eterm -x
> >> didn't work under e17 without this patch, and that this patch made
> >> Eterm more EWMH-compliant.  If that's not the case, then I
> >> misunderstood, and the patch needs to be rethought.

> >> Some user was in IRC yesterday complaining about a WM (e17 I
> >> thought, but I could be mistaken) that did not provide the
> >> _MOTIF_WM_INFO atom, and thus Eterm kicked in override_redirect.
> >>  Not knowing about Ctrl-click, he assumed the Eterm was fubar.  So
> >> apparently *something* out there doesn't implement MWM hints
> >> properly.
> >
> > Is this related to my reported problems with Eterm (and at least one
> > other app) where iconify and maximise don't turn up in the E17
> > window menu when using borderless?
>
> yes, Eterm becomes an override-redirect window when using borderless
> option with e17, so its window is not handled by the wm in any way. I
> commited a workaround that makes e17 pretend to be mwm so that Eterm
> use mwm hints for borderless mode instead of going override redirect.

I'll keep an eye on this then, as the other app that I use a lot with
this problem is something I'll be making my own changes to for other
reasons anyway.

Though after all this discussion, I might have to actually study this
stuff and find out for myself which is the best way to go.  lol

I plan on recompiling E17 and Eterm from the end of freeze snapshot, so
I"ll be testing out whatever the result is at that time.