On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 00:54:51 +0200 Hugo Camboulive <hugo.camboul...@gmail.com>
> said:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We use emotion with vlc here, and since libvlc is GPL we had to
>> develop our own library (it basically forks a vlc process with shmem
>> vout, and communicates with it through the command line interface
>> (with a pipe)... no linking with vlc at all). We also modified the
>> emotion plugin to use it instead of libvlc.
>> I know there has been discussions about releasing our lib in the past
>> (it did not happen because we have a lot of more important stuff on
>> our minds and it's low priority ^^), but if I bring back the subject
>> it could happen.
>> What do you think? (hope the vlc guys wouldn't be too upset though...
>> well in the end its their fault for releasing a GPL library, meh ^^)
>
> you're in a bit of a legal gray area actually. the question is.. what
> constitutes "complex data structures". you're sharing at a minimum yuv data
> and
> possibly width + height information (well if you have only 1 segment you need
> the size inlined for safety or a very nasty synchronous system - then again
> you
> kind of need  locking too...). would this be considered complex? how much is
> needed before it becomes complex? that's where gpl may still affect you.
>
> i'm on your side though - i think it's "not complex". the question is... would
> a court disagree?

I'd say so. While at Nokia I had to attend few legal training and if
you plan to circumvent author's desire you're mostly in trouble. If
VLC had that to avoid people to use it in proprietary software they
can bug you and court may agree. This is the case with any IPC, often
considered "safe", is not 100%.

moreover... is your VIDEO PLAYER app that complex that can't get code
released? I recall your boss (or it was you?) talking to me at ELC-E
last year and you have a very, VERY, specific domain thing, likely
releasing the code would not harm your business as it depend on a
series of things (hw) to be valuable. At least release the video
player if you want to use VLC and be safe. If you make your video
player app GPL and do the communication with that using IPC, then
you're safe as you're complying with VLC and you have the option to
sue yourself on the other side, of course you won't ;-)

BR,

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems