On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 20:56:45 -0500 Mike Blumenkrantz <m...@zentific.com> said:

> > i think we're confusing 2 issues. 1 is moving from O(n2) to O(n) and having
> > a mainloop that handles lots of fd's at all vs a a micro-optimisation patch
> > on top of it that makes very little difference at all. yes - it does malloc
> > less. yes it will fragment less. yes it is a bit faster. the code is
> > shorter. not disputed.
> >
> > the question is - is that patch on top "part of the original O(n2) -> O(n)
> > work or is it separate. i'm on the fence. it could have gone in as part of
> > mikez's work and no one would have peeped. at the same time the code it
> > implements for a list is very different to everything else in ecore that
> > uses lists. i don't see a technical problem with the code in the patch -
> > more of a clarity issue that you see something wanting to be a list and not
> > actually using normal list infra. chances are this bit of ecore isnt going
> > to see much work over time - so is that actually an issue? all good
> > questions. i'm tempted to say "just let it in as it'd have been fine were
> > it part of the original O(n2) -> O(n) fix".
> >
> I think a lot of people are confusing my saying "O(n) behavior needs to be
> fixed" with "this patch needs to be in now."  With some testing to make sure
> that it works with recursive main loops and whatnot I don't see an issue, but
> I am not saying that it must be committed this second if the consensus is
> that it should wait.

i think this patch should go live in purgatory for the moment (purgatory ==
wait for 1.1 development to begin and then get merged). that's my position on
it. its an improvement. it just happened to be unlucky to not be part of your O
(n) stuff and be separated at birth. to be honest - i think the mainloop itself
should really be left the hell alone atm - your O(n) stuff is "tolerated"
because its such a good improvement for large #'s of fd's. but fact is.. ecore
wasn't built for that and hasn't been for many years. not against it being
improved, but being improved at the last minute is a pretty risky thing. it's
risking years of "we know it works".