On 12/27/11 22:04, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Christopher Michael
> <cpmicha...@comcast.net>  wrote:
>> On 12/27/11 21:51, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:

>>> if nobody is going to use it, why doing it?
>>>
>> Well, it needs the ability to do it just in case someone makes an app not
>> using elm, but still wants to provide a frame. If they are not using elm,
>> then ecore_evas can "optionally" draw a basic rectangle frame, OR they can
>> supply their own evas_object to handle it.
>>
>> A simple shot showing the 'frame' for ecore_evas. It's nothing fancy (and is
>> not meant to be) but it does/will provide a way to move windows around by
>> grabbing the frame.
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/9G9EY.jpg
>>
>> There are no 'borders' on the elm test app in this shot cause I am still
>> hashing out that part of the code.
>
> if we don't do this for fb, directfb, windows or x11, why would we do
> it for wayland?
>
> really, if someone is willing to write barebone app using ecore_evas
> directly, he can deal with that, or live without it.

Right, and if they do, then they would need a way to tell ecore_evas
about their frame thus the ability to provide an evas_object to be used
for that. If they don't want to provide their own frame, then they can
tell ecore_evas to use the 'default boring one'.

Either way, a frame is needed by wayland in order to be able to move
windows around. Wayland does not provide a way to move a window via code
(read: put window @ 10,10). It just does not provide a method for it.
All window moves in Wayland are handled via response from the 'input
device' (read: mouse). There is nothing akin to ecore_x_window_move(win,
10, 10). In order to 'move' a window in wayland you have to use:

wl_shell_surface_move(struct wl_shell_surface *wl_shell_surface, struct
wl_input_device *input_device, uint32_t time)

which directly takes the input device. So what happens is, you 'grab'
the 'frame' w/ button and move the window around. Without a 'frame',
there is nothing to grab and thus no way to move the window (in the
traditional sense).

dh