On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 23:18:04 +1100 Dave <d...@flex.com.au> said:

>  The plan seems sensible enough.  I'll be happy to help out whatever way I
> can.
>
>  Virtual machines, well as far as performance goes, if the vm is doing the
> job fast enough, I don't really care what technology is used.  I haven't used
> kvm before, but shouldn't be too hard to work it out.
>
>  I'm not too sure of the benefits of a reverse proxy in this instance.
> It's easy enough to let iptables do dnat or load balancing, plus it's more
> convenient from an administration/maintenance perspective.

we have www.eorg, download.e.org, trac.e.org, etc. etc. ... and they all point
to the SAME ip. we don't have 20 ip's to go around - only 2. so we can't use
iptables for this. all these www domains share the same ip, thus we have to
route at the http "get" level... thus... reverse proxy.

>  By the sounds of it, top priority is migrating all services on e2 to a vm on
> the e5 system.  Which can't happen, until the vm host and router vm is
> active.  So, if monsieur beber needs help with any of these, my email address
> can be found above.

:) though.. vm's can be set up regardless. install an os (ubuntu, debian
probably best given old e2 was a debian SID setup). and then get a "dump" of
whats on e2 and have it work without routing... then its "Ready to go". it just
needs to be "updated at the last minute to latest content" before going live.