On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
<barbi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Lucas De Marchi
> <lucas.demar...@profusion.mobi> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
>> <barbi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> if will save you replicating those helpers you did... you don't need
>>> to do anything with the pending call.. but you can use it to
>>> explicitly cancel one. If you delete the object (unref) it will cancel
>>> all pending automatically.
>>>
>>> your code would reduce to get object, then proxy, then call stuff like
>>> CanPowerOff, no need to create the wrappers yourself. That's why we
>>> added the proxy, to automate these wrappers we were doing over and
>>> over again.
>>
>> Easier to change the code and show him than argumenting ;-)
>
> currently I'm not bothering, but indeed this would help more than talking.

>>> some like inhibit suspend/power actions may be good, but I don't think
>>> doing the suspend/reboot action (even if delegated) should come in
>>> Ecore... after all there will be a single app doing that in most
>>> cases, E itself.
>>>
>>> to block the suspend/power may be done by all apps, like during a
>>> media playback or slideshow..
>>
>> What's the point in adding those to ecore, wrapping the systemd
>> functionality?
>>
>> Same question goes for the recently added events for sleep, hostname,
>> etc... Why adding a wrapper instead of just let applications listen to
>> the signals sent by systemd directly?
>
> 1 - because some systems don't have systemd, thus we have different
> plugins (tizen for instance);

Yet the ones that matter (should) implement that interfaces.

> 2 - because it's easier to listen for an ECORE_EVENT than do all the
> dbus code, even if eldbus makes it simpler it's still hundreds of
> lines of code;
>
> it's like why shouldn't we just inotify some files to know if locale
> and time changed, using localed or timedated or hostnamed... because
> it's easier with systemd :-)

But it's already easy enough with systemd... and systemd as the init
serves as a centralization point for this kind of information.
For me those events just add an useless abstraction layer on top.

Lucas De Marchi