Hello.

On 08/16/2013 09:06 AM, David Seikel wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 08:50:02 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
>
>> one of those platforms... that efl is shipped on by default,  doesnt
>> use systemd for this (but it should), so abstracting is a must as we
>> then already have 2 paths. we ALSO have upower... a bit older than
>> systemd and some distros wont go "systemd"... and then think bsd.
>> they may have their own things (i have no idea what they are), but it
>> gives a point for them to plug in and abstract.
>
> Then there's things like Windows and Mac OS X.  Systemd might not even
> be an option in some places.  As much as I hate it, and would prefer to
> just ignore it and hope it goes away, Windows counts as one of the "ones
> that matter".  Mac also counts, but at least it's kinda, sorta, Unixy
> under the hood, and I can live with that.

I curious here. Where does this "counts" come from? It sounds like set
in stone without given reason.

If we would have a big developer base bringing in patches for Windows or
Mac I could easily understand that but we don't have that. We have a
patch here and there but nobody is really looking into that.

There might be a big user base for some apps running efl on these
platforms but without developers that are interested in it this falls
apart quickly. Right now we have the situation where people like me who
are totally uninterested in Windows support fix things to get a mingw
build working. Which tells me that people that use it with windows
either keep their patches private or use really old versions of efl.

So having something marked as "counts" which is barely supported by
anyone upstream is kind of funny.

regards
Stefan Schmidt